I follow the web comic ‘PS238‘ (it updates three times a week – check it out!). One of the fun things about Aaron’s comic is that he posts commentaries and links on his blog with the updates. I’m going to give it a try with a Catholic spin here. With that in mind…
Did you know that Father Barron is doing a ‘Ask Fr. Barron’ series in addition to his Word on Fire series? Apparently he’s answering questions weekly. The National Catholic Register is posting them as they come up – worth bookmarking and a little more freeform than his regular videos.
Father Barron makes a great point about teaching the fullness of the faith as opposed to highlighting the ‘hot’ issues. Why let the latest controversy control how we present our faith? Much more effective to offer our faith from a position of our convictions, rather than defensiveness. Hard to do with all the attacks that the Church faces, but important nonetheless!
For those who have been wondering about Father Corapi, Father Dwight Longenecker has a good commentary on both the latest rumors as well as much of the rather blind adoration folks have for Corapi. Prayers for him are our best course, and trust that God’s grace will take care of the rest.
In the good news department, our neighbor to the south – the Archdiocese of Portland – has a new archbishop. Archbishop Alexander Sample is moving from Marquette to Portland! He seems excited for the job, though it certainly will be a challenge. The west coast is certainly changing!
John C. Wright is a regular blogger (not like here….) and has posted a lengthy, but worthy critique of the move to allow women on the front lines of combat. His reference to Starship Troopers rings especially true. I remember feeling the same way when I watched the movie. I’m sorry that life has imitated art. I suspect we all will be in short order, most especially the women of our society, once we begin to see the fallout. Challenges indeed.
For those of us looking to improve things locally, Father Alexander Lucie-Smith published a neat article at the Catholic Herald titled ‘The Eight Secrets of a Good Mass’. I’ve got to admit, there’s not a few things he mentions for priests that I can work on. Maybe a few for the faithful you can help out with too! Check it out.
On the lighter end of things Catholic:
- The Ironic Catholic makes a case for Why Jesus wouldn’t have been a blogger, followed by a few worthy additions by the Curt Jester. Sometimes I think I follow the whole ‘thousand years as a day’ schedule myself….
- Our archdiocese is advertising for a new liturgy director. This is a pretty important position – let’s pray together for a few good candidates, and soon!
- Jesus & Aquaman seem doomed to conflict. Too bad – we could use another in the ranks of Catholic comic book characters.
- I’ve never heard of Justin Flom, but this explanation of the soldier’s deck of cards made me sit up and pay attention. Kleenex recommended.
- I’m an Android guy myself, but the new ‘Pope App‘ makes me a bit jealous of the iDevices access to the new way to keep up with the latest from Pope Benedict.
- Just when you start thinking you’re pretty tough, some guy goes and beats up a shark. Wow.